The Victorian courts have undertaken extensive work to ensure the safe conduct of jury trials, and have implemented measures for the safety and comfort of jurors in the current COVID-19 environment. These include:
- Greater consideration given to people who apply to be excused or to have their jury service deferred due to being vulnerable to the consequences of COVID-19
- Frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and areas
- Providing hand sanitiser
- Asking attendees health screening questions (eg. are you feeling well?) upon entering the building and the jury areas
- Requesting all individuals who are selected on a trial sign a consent form confirming they will undergo a COVID-19 rapid test should they develop symptoms while serving on a jury.
- Reimbursing reasonable travel costs of taxis, rideshares and personal vehicles to discourage the use of public transport (until 30 June 2021).
Most importantly, you must:
- Stay home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or if you are awaiting COVID-19 test results; and
- Call our office on 03 8636 6800 to advise us of your circumstances.
For more information about COVID-19 and how you can help protect yourself and others, please visit the Department of Health and Human Services coronavirus webpage .
Reimbursement of travel costs
Please note, reimbursement of travel costs will cease on 30 June 2021.
To discourage the use of public transport, you can apply to be reimbursed the reasonable costs of taxis or ride share services to and from the court building.
Alternatively, you can be reimbursed the costs of using your personal vehicle, including:
- Parking and tolls
- An allowance of 72 cents per kilometre for the shortest distance travelled between your home and the court building.
- You will not have an opportunity to leave the court to move your vehicle, so please choose an all-day parking spot
- Parking fines will not be reimbursed
- Public transport costs will not be reimbursed.
Claiming travel costs
To claim travel costs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, juror number and attached copies of any receipts relating to your travel costs attending court after your attendance.