The courts have been deemed a 'sensitive environment' in relation to COVIDSafe settings, meaning some of the courts’ measures and restrictions are different from those which apply more generally.
It is a requirement of attendance for jury service that a mask be worn at all times in the court building, unless eating or drinking. Juries Victoria will provide masks for those who do not have one with them.
If you are COVID-positive or a close contact of a COVID-positive person, or you are experiencing COVID symptoms, however mild, you must stay home and call our office on 03 8636 6800 to advise us of your circumstances.
Other measures implemented by the courts to ensure the safe conduct of jury trials include:
- Greater consideration given to people who apply to be excused or to have their jury service deferred due to being vulnerable to the consequences of COVID-19
- Following the latest health advice with respect to COVID-19
- Frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and areas
- Providing hand sanitiser
- Asking attendees health screening questions (eg are you feeling well?) upon entering the building and the jury areas
- Requesting all individuals who are selected on a trial sign a consent form confirming they will undergo a COVID-19 rapid test should they develop symptoms while serving on a jury.
For more information about COVID-19 and how you can help protect yourself and others, please visit the Department of Health and Human Services’ coronavirus webpage .